Vision & Mission
The institutional governance and leadership are in accordance with the vision and mission of the Institution and it is visible in various institutional practices such as NEP implementation Sustained institutional growth, decentralization, participation in the institutional governance and in their short term and long-term institutional perspective plan.
Kalinagar Mahavidyalaya, the sole torch bearer of higher education amidst the rural riverine remote islands comprising Sandeshkhali block of the Sundarbans. Its foundation in May 1985 by local entrepreneurs and philanthropists was a trendsetting event a milestone indeed for the islanders –mostly marginal communities below poverty line who started sending their wards to peep into this outlet of wider scope of higher education and different vocation thereafter. The academic scenario is mostly dominated by students belonging to marginal communities Scheduled Tribes, Scheduled Caste, Minorities, after first generation learners-girl students numerically surpassing the boys. Despite the remoteness and transportation inaccessibility along with nature’s devastating role as well as the threat of the global Pandemic Kalinagar Mahavidyalaya has succeeded in nurturing and generating strong challenge resisting youth of tomorrow in par with their unique physiographic locations.
37 years have passed and we are now in our 38th year. Our MISSION since 1985 down the memory lane can be summarized in the following manner.
- Starting with 47 students only, the college at present during the academic session 2023-2024 has 530+ students (Semester I, III, V).Besides 7 honours and 3 pass subjects (Physical Education as another pass subject was introduced in the academic session (2018-2019) with new numen clotures as per NEP 2020 MAJOR and MINOR application for approval of introducing new subjects such as Rural Studies in parity with the location of the college as well as defense Studies and Phycology, Sociology has been submitted to the West Bengal State University and The Higher Education Council as per requirement of NEP 2020.
- Several Certificate Course of 30 hours duration have been already introduced such as Bratachari in collaboration with Bangiya Bratachari Samity Drama in Collaboration with Sundarban Natya Utsav Sangtha, Nazat , Sandeshkhali.
- As par with NEP 2020 the faculty contemplates to introduce Value added Add -on courses to ameliorate the academic proficiency of the students following blended methods of Teaching
- Organization workshop on research methodology multidisciplinary research publication by faculties.
- In order to do away with a shortest of teaching staff vis-vs students (2023-2024)
Number of teachers: 30
Number of students= 1030
Students: Teacher ratio= 1: 34
Letter has been sent to the Director of Public Instruction of Higher Education Government of West Bengal for creation of teaching post as per requirement of NEP 2020.
Furthermore, to tackle the problem on an urgent basis MOU (Memorandum of understanding) have been signed with 8 colleges. Students enjoy dual facilities of offline classroom teaching, extension lectures and online Google classroom lectures.
- Keeping in mind the financial constraints faced by meritorious students who often are unable to pursue further studies and enter the world of different Vocations such as agriculture small business, nursing, police, army and the like.
For them Post Graduation degree course through distance mode affiliated to Netaji Subhas Open University have been introduced in 2022-2023. Running students can also pursue their studies through the LMS system software available where teachers upload their study materials in the website done especially to precent drop outs. Library housed in a separate building contains more than 13000+ books along with e resources.
- Stipends and A Scholarship are received regularly by, SC, ST, OBC, Minority as well as general students on the basis of merit and financial status. The College Governing Body bestows free studentships to extremely needy students as and when required on the basis of applications submitted by students and properly authenticated.
- Students enthusiastically take part in multifarious activities under the college wing of the National Service Scheme The students acquaint themselves with the local problems through awareness camps and other social outreach programmers.
Application has been submitted for introducing N.C.C in the college for enabling these hardworking local youth studying in the college to find service in the army and the police
- The lush green campus (with more than 2500 flora of diverse species) helps the students to ameliorate their health condition along with a multi-gym (for both hostel boarder and day scholars) Yoga classes are held frequently. That boosts the energy level and confidence in the local youth.
- Students especially girls coming to study here from distant islands stay in the Girl's Hostel for SC girls constructed by the Backward Class Welfare Department, Government of West Bengal. Previously there was a Boy's Hostel but how in a dilapidated condition prayer for financial assistance made to BJRCY scheme of government of India for its reconstruction
- For Physically challenged students’ ramps have been installed for entry in buildings constructed as well as under construction.
Our mission is integrally associated with our vision what Kalinagar Mahavidyalaya contemplates to achieve in future
Hence our VISION:
Topographical constraints have brought the college very close to the neighboring community and hence one of the main focus of activity is community development. Community development is the keyboard for every individual of the institution-faculty, staff, students and the alumni.
- The college provides potable (drinking) water to the villager of the local village from its solar water pump received from the PHE (Public Health Experiences Department) of the State Government during times of acute scarcity in the scorching summer months.
Awareness programme are held to make the villager aware of the need to preserve ground water and the different mechanisms and techniques of such preservation are also documented through visuals as mast of the listeners are illiterate. The college has the plan of resorting to rain water harvesting in near future to help the community around.
- The Multi-purpose Cyclone Centre within the college premises is a refuge Centre for the neighboring villagers during natural disasters. Local students, teachers and staff themselves participate in relief and rescue programmes standing firmly besides the neighboring villagers during their times of distress. Our aim is to continue the process in a greater dimension in future.
- The vast greenery is the ideal place for both the youth and the aged crowing in the college campus during dawn and dusk a rejuvenations ground indeed -long with recreation of the village community in the huge playground.
In future the playground has to be remodeled and reorganized with an open auditorium and sports-friendly infrastructure.
- With the help of and collaboration with local bodies such as local Panchayat, Block Office, police station, health centres and NGOs, students an integral part of the community take up programmes such as cleaning of congested market areas, tree plantations for eco-friendly ambience in the locality, health and education survey of families, awareness camps, street plays. Tackling of health hazards, local social issues, mock drills for management of natural disasters shall be organized in near future in a under dimension so that this sole centre of higher education can become a part of overall development of these distant islands of the Sundarbans.
- Endeavour shall also be taken by all stakeholders the students teacher parents office staff and alumni to preserve the flora and fauna of the Sundarbans along with the preservation of it's indigenous culture.
Next to community development in its broader context can be brought in the vision of WOMEN EMPOWERMENT AND GENDER EQUALITY in the context of the Sundarban region.
Available student statistics harps on the second vision that reveals that girl students dominate the academic graph of this institution.
- The college has worked out a gender sensitization plan for the benefit of its students with the primary aim of making the students aware of their needs social problems they may presumably encounter at present or in future such asocial gender issues Health Issues. Psychological support through counseling.
Medium - Seminar, workshop, counselling sessions Implementation the responsibility of implementation is primarily of the Women’s Cell, Counselling Cell and Internal Complains Committee.
Outcome- Benefitted the stakeholders and once again the community at large
Gender Equality is fostered within the institution in two ways:
- Interaction within the classrooms where teaching subjects such as Education, History, Philosophy, Economics and Political Science often offers scope for studying cross cutting issues such as gender equity, woman's education and empowerment, gender justice and sensitization.
- Institution conducts workshops, interactive sessions, awareness programmes on women's rights, education and empowerment and the need for social awareness of the problem of crime against women as well as for their legal protection.
- Government initiative for girl students is communicated to the students regarding stipends and scholarships through the college office acting as the liaison between the Block office and stakeholders taking urgent initiative to solve all problems associated with such schemes.
Apart from gender sensitization the institution being the only one to cater to the educational rights, and financial help of the marginal communities of this area of the Sundarbans.
- Hence sensitization programmes are organised for the Scheduled Tribe and Scheduled Caste, Minority students who dominate the academic graph of the college category wise
Awareness camps are held frequently with the commencement of the new session Visits to government organized camps comps provide students with information about the different educational loans (Student Credit Card Scheme) along with different types of scholarships for them.
- Help desks are opened for training the students for the purpose by the Nodal officer and help desk officer teachers.
- Sole vision thus being to promote an integral and holistic growth of young minds
In this way Kalinagar Mahavidyalaya endeavors to create a unique position in the academic map of the Sundarban Islands of West Bengal training its students to emerge as competent individuals capable of handling their future career as well as taking active part tn the upliftment of the society and community around them.
These aspects comprising the mission and vision of the institution have been incorporated within the framework of Institutional values and ethics.
The institutional governance and leadership are truly in accordance with the vision and mission of the institution - sustained institutional growth, decentralization and participative institutional governance are the key aspects incorporated in the short term and long- term Institutional Perspective Plan.